Know about recycling symbols
Have you ever observed numbers mentioned in the recycling symbol?What are the uses of those numbers?Why are they mentioned? So,gain little knowledge regarding those numbers by reading this article.
Every plastic product has recycling number i.e. there will be 3 chasing arrows in which the number is seen .This is universal recycling symbols.The recycling number ranges from 1 to 7 within a triangle.
Many of us think ,there is no use with those symbols.But they provide lots of information regarding the toxic chemicals used in the plastic and also how much safe they are.
- polyethylene terephthalate is the resin used to prepare products with resin code 1in the triangle.It can be recycled.
- PET is used in the production of soft drink bottles, peanut butter jars etc
- PET can be recycled into fiberfill for sleeping bags, carpet fibers, rope, pillows..
- High density polyethylene is the resin used to prepare the products with number 2.
- HDPE is found in milk jugs, butter tubs, detergent bottles, motor oil bottles…
- It can be recycled into pens, recycling containers, picnic tables, lumber…
- Polyvinyl chloride is the resin used to prepare products with recycling number 3
- PVC is used in shampoo bottles, cooking oil bottles, clear food packaging…
- PVC can be recycled into drainage, flooring, speed bumps, decks and irrigation pipes…
- Low density polyethylene is used for preparing 5 recycling number products
- LDPE is found in grocery bags, bread bags, shrink wrap, margarine tub tops…
- LDPE can be recycled into paneling, trash can liners ,new grocery bags,shipping envelopes…
- Polypropylene is the resin used to prepare products with number 5.
- PP is used in most yogurt containers, straws, pancake syrup bottles, bottle caps….
- PP can be recycled into plastic lumber, car battery cases, manhole steps,lights, ice scrapers, and bicycle racks.
- Polystyrene is the resin used to prepare products with number 7.
- PS is found in disposable hot cups, compact disc cases, egg cartons, meat trayspackaging materials (peanuts), and meat trays,..
- It is recycled into egg cartons, vents, foam packing, and insulation.
This is usually a mixture of various plastics, like squeeze ketchup bottles, “microwaveable” dishes…
Other (number 7) is usually not recycled because it is a mixture of different types of plastics.
Avoid using the products with 3,6,7 recycling symbols which are harmful.1 is little bit safe but avoid as much as possible.
2,4,5 can be used as these plastics are considered as safe.
Finally ,avoid using plastics as much as you can ,protect our environment,use paper bags instead of plastic covers,use glasses instead of plastic bottles etc …. ,let us keep our environment clean and green.
Hope you gained little knowledge and please do subscribe ,share and comment …